|Purpose- Rural tourism, in the perspective of developed economies, is considered as a context-based experience that has a broad range of attractions. Also, it can increase the opportunities to provide services to local communities. Thus, their maintenance has become an integral part of the rural economy. In this regard, the study explored the understanding of rural tourism development in Rudbar County, Guilan province.|
Design/methodology/approach- This study, in terms of goal is applied-developmental, in terms of paradigm is qualitative, and in terms of method is a grounded theory which is based on an inductive approach. The statistical population consisted of two groups of key rural informants and tourists of Rudbar County. Using a purposive sampling, 18 people were selected by snowball method and data were collected applying in-depth and semi-structured interviews, reaching saturation. To analyze the narratives, three stages of open, axial and selective coding method were used.
Findings- Findings showed that the vital commodities of rural tourism in Rudbar are the supply of a mixture of tourism approaches such as ecotourism, agrotourism and participatory approaches such as the view of scenic byways. In the elevated villages near Darfak peak, the commodities are long hiking or cycling alongside Sefidrood River as well as heritage areas. Also, in the development of rural tourism in the study area, the categories of products of the destination, space opportunities of the destination, infrastructure of the destination, cultural support and beliefs of the destination, responsible participation of the destination, cultural acceptance of the destination, marketing for the destination, human capital of the destination, employment in the destination were important. The most important category (core category) was known as "tourism product development policy".
Research limitations/implications- Lack of proper access to infrastructures such as mobile coverage accessibility, Internet and accommodation opportunities, frequent cut-offs of tap water in some villages for long hours, and access to tourists and key local informants were among the problems in the way of this study.
Practical implications- In order to achieve the development of rural tourism, it is suggested that special attention be paid to the development policy of Guilan tourism product supply in different dimensions. Since most of the incoming tourists to Guilan are nature tourists, increasing the village's service such as improving mobile and Internet access, improving the village's water and electricity quality, travel agency offices and active tour operators in the villages, automobile repair shops, local food restaurants and eco-resorts are vital.
Originality / Value- A grounded theory systematically examines phenomena in their natural state in the form of regular steps. In this method, generalization is not the purpose. Instead, the goal is to understand the phenomenon and its various dimensions.
- Adib Haj Bagheri, M., Parvizi, S., & Salasi, M. (2010). Qualitative research methods. Tehran: Bashari. Second ed. [in Persian]
- Aghajani, S. (2004). Capabilities and limitations of Guilan Province development regarding Tourism. Conference proceedings of the Guilan scientific research regions and the fourth economic, social and cultural development plan of Iran, 93-96. [in Persian]
- Bayat, N., & Badri, S. A. (2017). Analyzing the local residents' perceptions of the effects of rural tourism in Malayer County: Villages in Kolan River Basin. Quarterly Journal of Space Economy & Rural Development 6 (special issue on Tourism) 59-76. [In Persian] https:// serd.khu.ac.ir/ browse.php? a_id=2976 &sid= 1&slc_lang=fa
- Chambers, E. (2009). From authenticity to significance: Tourism on the frontier of culture and place. Futures, 41(6), 353–359. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.futures.2008.11.003
- Eynali, J., Farahani, H., Cheraghi, M. & Abbasi, F. (2018). Assessing the rural tourism role in the sustainable development of local communities (Case study: Tourism Destination Villages - Zanjan Province). Journal of Tourism and Development, 7(2), 171-193. doi: 10.22034/jtd.2018.69467
- Farjirad, A., & Aghajani, S. (2009). A new analysis of tourism and its latest classification. Journal of Territory, 6(23), 61 -72. [In Persian]. http://sarzamin.srbiau.ac.ir/article_5428.html
- Gartner, W. C. (2004). Rural tourism development in the USA. The International Journal of Tourism Research 6(3), 151–164. https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.481
- Giddens, A. (1997). Sociological research methods (Saboor, M. Trans.). Tehran: Ney press. [in Persian]
- Hrubcova, G., Loster, T., & Obergruber, P. (2016). The Economic effects of tourism in the group of the least developed countries. Procedia Economics and Finance, 39, 476 –481. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)30351-3
- Karami dekordi, M., Koohestani Ainuddin, H., & Carbation, M. (2015). Qualitative assessment of rural tourism problems in Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari Province using grounded theory (Case: Shegeft Saragha Seyed Village in Koohrang County). Journal of Regional Planning, 18(1), 141-156. [in Persian] http://jzpm.miau.ac.ir/article_774.html
- Karroubi, M., & Bazrafshan, Sh., (2015). Development of tourism and changing cultural patterns in rural areas (Case: Asiabsar Village, Behshahr County, and Mazandaran Province). Journal of Iran Cultural Research, 8(2), 73-94. [in Persian] http://www.jicr.ir/article_193.html
- Killon, L. (2001). Rural tourism. In Norman Douglas; Ngaire Douglas; Ros Derrett (eds.), Special Interest Tourism: Context and Cases (pp. 164–184). Australia: Wiley and Sons, Milton.
- Mikulić, J., & Kožić, I. (2011). An exploratory assessment of tourism sustainability in Croatian coastal destinations. EFZG working paper series, (04), 1-12. https://ideas.repec.org/p/zag/wpaper/1104.html
- Leiper, N. (1990). Tourism systems: An interdisciplinary perspective. New Zealand: Massey University.
- Leiper, N. (2004). Tourism Management. Frenchs Forest: Pearson Education Australia.
- Long, P., & Lane, B. (2000). Rural tourism development. Gartner, W. C., & Lime, D. W. (Eds.). Trends in outdoor recreation, leisure, and tourism. (pp. 299-308), London: CABI, Wallingford.
- Marcouiller, D. W., Kim, K. K., & Deller. S. C. (2004). Natural amenities, tourism and income distribution. Annals of Tourism Research, 31(4), 1031-1050. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2004.04.003
- Moghaddasi Jahromi, Z. (2016). Tourist attraction and tourism development. The First International Conference on new research achievements in management, accounting and economics. [In Persian]
- Moradi, H., Biranvandrad, M., Biranvand, Z. & Dekami, M. (2019). The role of spatial businesses in the development of rural tourism destinations with an emphasis on ecotourism resorts. National conference of eco-tourism, culture and tourism development, Binalood Higher Education Institute, Mashhad. Azar, 2019. [In Persian]
- Moradi, Kh., & Agahi, H. (2015). Investigating rural management challenges using grounded theory. Geography and Development, 12(34), 167-181. [In Persian] https://gdij.usb.ac.ir/article_1440.html
- Mousavi, S. Sh. (2019). Identification and evaluation of potential sites for tourism development in Khorramabad-Poldakhtar axis. Master Thesis, Department of Geography and Tourism Planning, Department of Geography, Faculty of Literature and Humanities, Lorestan University. [In Persian]
- Nepal, S. K. (2007). Tourism and Rural Settlements Nepal’s Annapurna Region. Annals of Tourism Research, 34(4), 855-875.
- Oriade, A., & Rabinson, P. (2017). Rural tourism and enterprise: Management, marketing and sustainability. London: CABI.
- Oroji, H., Alizadeh, M., Abiyaneh, V., & Safavi, S. R., (2018). Explain and providing the evaluation model of rural tourism economy in Iran. Journal of Geographical Planning of Space, 8(29), 107-131. [In Persian] http://gps.gu.ac.ir/article_80357.html
- Papzan, A., Ghobadi, P., Zarafshani, K., & Garavandi, Sh. (2010). Problems and limitations of rural tourism, using grounded theory (Case Harir Village, Kermanshah Province). Journal of Rural Research, 1(3), 26-51. [In Persian] https://jrur.ut.ac.ir/article_22179.html
- Pazoki, M., & Yourdkhani, M. (2015). Survey and scrutiny of green tourism development at TOCHAL village (a grounded theory). Quarterly Journal of New Attitudes in Human Geography, 7(1), 237-248. [In Persian] http://geography.journals.iau-garmsar.ac.ir/article_664655.html
- Rezvani, M. R., Akbari Anrunizi, S., Roknadin Eftekhari, A., & Badri, S. A. (2012). Explain the indicators of sustainability benchmark in evaluating the effects of tourism patterns in rural areas around metropolitans (Case study: Rural areas around the metropolis of Tehran). Human Geographical Research, 44(3)69-94. [In Persian] https://jhgr.ut.ac.ir/article_24981.html?lang=fa
- Roknadin Eftekhari, A., & Badri, S., (2012). Development model system in rural areas: learning from the experiences of the exemplary villages in the world and Iran. Tehran: Nour-Elm Publications. [In Persian]
- Rostami Ghobadi, F. & Ehsanifar, T. (2018). The drivers of rural tourism entrepreneurship development. Entrepreneurship in Agriculture, 5(2), 71-82. doi: 10.22069/jead.2018.15614.1347
- Rouzbahani, A., Moradi, H., & Abbasi, H. (2020). Explaining the effects of components promoting entrepreneurship development in rural tourism destinations (Case: Samen district in Malayer County). Journal of Rural Research, 11(1), 350-360. [In Persian] https://jrur.ut.ac.ir/article_75780.html
- Rouzbahani, A., Moradi, H., & Abassi, H. (2020). Analyzing the local-spatial consequences of the development of tourism economy with an entrepreneurial approach in rural areas (Case Study: Samen District in Malayer County). Journal of Research and Rural Planning, 9(29), 83-103. https://jrrp.um.ac.ir/article_33068.html
- Sadri, S. (2015). Designing an ecotourism complex with a natural approach. (Unpublished master’s thesis). Islamic Azad University, Rasht Branch. [In Persian]
- Saroyo, P., & Tatik Mulyati, G. (2015). Analysis of prospect of agro-tourism attractiveness based on location characteristics. Agriculture and Agricultural Science Procedia, 3, 72-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aaspro.2015.01.016
- Saleh, S., & Vali Shariat Panahi, W. (2019). Analysis of rural tourism capital in Shahu District. Quarterly Journal of Space Economy & Rural Development, 7(3), 1-22. [In Persian] https://serd.khu.ac.ir/article-1-3398-fa.html
- Salimi Sobhan, M., & Hojjat Shamami, Q. (2019). Analysis of the role of tourism in the economic sustainability of rural areas Case: District of Rahmatabad and Blukat. Quarterly Journal of Space Economy and Rural Development, 7(3), 189-206. [In Persian] https://serd.khu.ac.ir/article-1-3407-fa.html
- Vali Gholizadeh, A., Khavanin zadeh, F., & Rezaei, M. R. (2019). The effects of rural tourism on entrepreneurship development, case: Saryazd Village in Mehriz County. Journal of Space Economy & Rural Development, 8(3), 83-104. [In Persian] https://serd.khu.ac.ir/article-1-3402-fa.html
- World Tourism Organization. (2011). National and regional tourism planning: case studies (Asia and Iran). London.
- Zhang, X., Song, H., & Huang, G. Q. (2009). Tourism supply chain management: A new research agenda. Tourism management, 30(3), 345-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2008.12.010